Old North Church – Historic Boston

On the savvy traveler’s list of Boston travel, there is this Old North Church. Built in the year 1723, located in the North East of Boston, the Old North Church, previously known as the Christ’s Church, is one of the oldest churches in Boston permeated with enough historic importance. The church is replete with many historic moments of the then political upheavals, reminding all the while the grim moments of the struggle for independence.

The Old North Church at Boston is believed to be the place where the famous signal for war, at the time of the American Revolution was sent. The signal read as “One if by Land” and “Two if by sea”. It is related to Paul Revere’s midnight ride in April 1775. Paul Revere was an American Patriot at that time.

This church has a heap of national historic significances, as it is the oldest active church in Boston. The church has a life-size statue of George Washington, which perhaps according to the visitors the best statue of him. British architect Christopher Wren was the architect of the Church. He was the one who was summoned upon to rebuild London after the Great Fire.

The church nicely preserves the Lanterns used by Paul Revere to signal the advancing threats of the war. President Gerald Ford in 1975 gave a nationally televised speech and hung the third lantern by the window of the church. This symbolizes America’s third century of freedom. Many other eminent personalities were associated with the church. The place also has a crypt, which has an estimated 1100 bodies buried.

The church has got eight changing ringing bells which were manufactured in Gloucester, Massachusetts in 1744. It started functioning in 1745. They are well maintained and are nicely operational. According to the history books, the original steeple was destroyed by Storm of October in 1804. It was renovated by Charles Bulfinch in 1954. The church stands tall today with a height of 175 feet.

With a sharp steeple visible from afar having the height of 175ft the old north Church stands quite elegantly ushering in the advent of a prosperous independent society.

The Old North Church is controlled by the Old North Foundation that is marching forward with a noble mission of catering educational programs among the students in an interpretative model. The visitors too, if interested, may have the scope of learning many things regarding the usefulness of the community and the congregation.

In the Old North Church, there is an archive where every detail is available highlighting how the inhabitants of this area struggled hard to keep the high esteem of the church during the period of struggle and how the church survived with its steeple held high evading all sorts of impediments.

The Old North Church is open for the general people from 9 AM to5 PM. There is free access without any entry fee. But if someone wants to offer donation after one’s will it is cordially accepted.

The Old North Church is an Episcopalian church that propagates progressive thoughts, like civil equality of all the sections of people. The church too acclaims the right of a woman to be a priest.

The Old North Church is such a holy place where both the old tradition and the modern intellectual quest are mingled in an effective manner. The old North Church performs its social duty by imbibing the essence of patriotism in the soul of every citizen with the help of which the country may march ahead to wards a secured future.